Major appointments were announced while the selection process for other important posts continues.
It would seem that the major appointments announced the last couple of days point to an Obama-Clinton partnership.
President-elect Obama has chosen the following so far:
• Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton as Secretary of State
• Robert Gates as Secretary of Defense
• Eric Holder as Justice Secretary
• Timothy Geithner as Secretary of Treasury
• Tom Daschle as Secretary of Health
• Rham Emmanuel as Chief of Staff
• Larry Summers as Chief Economic Adviser
• Robert Gibbs as Press Secretary
• Ellen Moran as Communications Director
• Desiree Rogers as White House Social Secretary
• Bill Richardson as Secretary of Commerce
From the above list of new cabinet appointees, about half are identified with former President Bill Clinton either as staff, adviser or known supporters. Bill Richardson is the former Secretary of Energy under the Clinton administration, Rham Emmanuel is a former Clinton adviser, Larry Summers is Clinton’s former Treasury Secretary, Eric Holder was appointed by Clinton as Atty. General for the District of Columbia, Ellen Moran is a known campaign supporter of Hillary Clinton while Tom Daschle’s wife is the former Administrator of FAA under the Clinton administration.
The President-elect defended his choice of new cabinet members and advisers. “The American people would be troubled if I selected a Treasury Secretary or a Chairman of the National Economic Council at one of the most critical economic times in our history that had no experience in government whatsoever,” Obama said
“What we are going to do is combine experience with fresh thinking. But understand where the vision for change comes from, First and foremost, it comes from me. That’s my job- which is to provide a vision in terms of where we are going and to make sure then that my team is implementing,” he added.
It is obvious that the President-elect is really capitalizing on his relatively young team with fresh thinking and the old reliable minds of the Clinton team.