Thursday, December 25, 2008

Voices for Change - Cathy Hatch

Voices for Change.

Dear President Elect Obama ( with respect you have earned),
First of all Merry Christmas to you and all of your family, whether they celebrate this holiday or not.
I just finished reading the MSN article about your fitness habits. I was not surprised. Many of us have recognized from early on in your campaign that you are not only a well educated gentleman but also one who has nurtured wisdom.
Just a suggestion for your consideration, if you haven't already done so. Consider finding a really good Martial Arts instructor ( I highly recommend Okinawan Gojuryu) and become involved in the training. It really isn't difficult to do and if you have a good instructor ( I highly recommend mine whom I have trained with for 17 years), you can work out intensely without equipment (although there are some basic items that are very beneficial) even in an elevator if you have a mind to. There are 7 attributes to training in the dojo I train in. I don't know if every Gojuryu school adheres to them but we do. Here they are:
self-awareness (without awareness nothing can change)
self-discipline (it would seem you already have a head start on that one)
self-development (embracing and embodying personal growth)
self-respect ( a belief in your own human value)
self-control (the ability to differentiate before taking action)
self-confidence (accepting your strengths and weaknesses without judgement-kind of like your wife does LOL)
Lastly, self-defense (all of the previous attributes should keep you safe in most situations, but in the event that you should have to physically defend yourself, the karate helps you to develop the tools to do what needs to be done, only if and when it needs to be done.
There is a saying in karate-do that goes "karate ni sente nash" which, if I have spelled it correctly means that karate has no first attack. If I haven't it is hard to say what the translation might be. Translating Japanese language can be a delicate matter.
Karate would be wonderful for Michelle and the girls too.
Anyway, I don't know if you will ever get to read this, but if someone does I hope they will share it with you.
You have a tough job ahead of you, but I am one of those who believes it is your time.
Namaste,
Cathy
Search Obama'12 Articles ▼

OBAMA and Economy